Here it is the final product. I took this and hung it in my office at work; however, this picture was taken in my home before I took it to work.
Started off with 4 canvases (20″ by 16″), I bought them when they were on sell @ M’s. I will tell you that if you want a more sturdy piece don’t go cheap on the canvas. While I was putting the various coats of paints on the cheaper canvas stretches and gives.
The first thing I did was coat the canvas with 3-4 coats of magnetic primer.
Martha Stewart came out with a new line of acrylic paints that can be used on anything and I decided to give them a try. I think they are a little pricey, 1 bottle of the acrylic paint is about $1.99 compared to $.59-$.69 of other acrylic paint. Let me say right here I’m not getting paid or sponsored by any one so this is just my opinion. I think it took me 3 bottles of her paint to get the coverage on 4 canvases I wanted. If memory serves me right I used “something” Linen. Can’t remember the full name.
I started off using a roller, but I switched over to a foam brush. I lay the coats down as follows, coat 1 the way the object is going to be hanging (in this case horizontal); coat 2 vertically; coat 3 horizontal again. I do this to get a good coverage.
Here we are all panels painted. You will notice they still look splotchy but that is ok, this is not the final cover of paint.
Next I used Sure Cuts Alot program and my Cricut and picked out various numbers, fonts and symbols I wanted to use on the board. I used some old shelving paper with adhesive on the back to cut out the item.
My suggestion here is to use some good shelving paper, or contact paper or vinyl. The stuff I used did not stick very well and I had to do a lot of touch up.
I placed the vinyl around the 4 canvases (overlapping some from one canvas to another). This will help bring all 4 canvases together when you go to hang it.
This is not my original idea. I wish I could remember what blog I saw this on; however, there are multiple post and multiple ways to do this project and I’m sure it is probably on Youtube. Somewhere I read that if you painted around the vinyl first it did better. I couldn’t tell with the vinyl I used that it made any difference.
Once all the vinyl was in place I started the process of painting. I wanted this to be a magnetic chalk board so now I am applying black chalkboard paint. I use the same process of putting on the coats of chalkboard paint….except this time I knew I was using 4 coats to get a good coverage so I did vertical, horizontal, vertical and horizontal.
Removed the vinyl and discovered the chalkboard paint had seeped under the cheap vinyl. Not a huge problem, but it is time consuming to “doctor” up the mishaps.
I found these wood joiners at Home Depot. They worked ok but when I hung the 4 panels they bow out from the wall a little. I’m working on a fix for that issue.
I got super magnets at Home Depot also (you need super magnets..as strong as you can get them).
Yep, they work!
I like it and it is working great. Now, if I ever need to bring it home it will work in my home decor also!