This card was designed for what is known as a MCPT (magic color pencil technique) Challenge on the Cricut Message Board (CMB) . You can go onto YouTube and key in MCPT and see several videos of how to do this technique. I borrowed the acetate circles for bubbles from a friend of mine whose name is Sonshine on the Paperwishes Message Board (PWMB). Thanks Sonshine, I think your creativity made this design awesome!
So let’s get started:
Changito Monkey stamp
Card Size = 5-1/2 x 5
Card Stock (CS) = Stampin-Up Rich Regal – Yellow; Green; Pink; Black; White
Adhesive = Pro Glide Permanent tape; E6000; Art Glitter Adhesive. (Tip -you need a glue that will adhere acetate to card stock. I used E6000 to begin with but discovered Art Glitter Adhesive worked great. (www.artglitter.com).
Ink = ColorBox Fluid Chalk Ink – Olive Pastel
Paper = Pattern Paper Making Memories – Garden Party; Vellum – white.
Paperwishes – Easy Stitches Template #HotP7328
Embellishments = Rain Dots – Cloud 9; Acetate – recyled from various packages; Stampendous – Blue Ultrafine glitter; Stickles – Star Dust; Ranger – Glossy Accents; Sakura Pen – Clear Star; Flowers- rub ons; Jewels – $1 bin M’s; Circut E with George Cart and Mini Monograms using Design Studio.
MCPT Coloring = Prisma color pencils and odorless mineral spirits.
I used the Circut E and Design Studio to make a cut file for the bubblewand, jar of bubbles, frame of rings (inside the card), scalloped medallions and the acetate circles. The following are the dimensions:
Bubblewand (Pink CS)- 4 circles: [email protected] 2.164″ and [email protected] 1.8″ placed inside the 2.164″ circle. Next [email protected] 1.62″ and [email protected] placed inside the 1.62″ circle. This creates the cut outs for the bubblewand. Weld them to a rectangle that measures .37″ w x 1.785 h. Cut the bubblewand three times. Once glued together (with the vellum and acetate) this will make what is called a “shaker”.
Acetate: Bubblewand – Cut 1 circle at 2.164″ and 2 circles at 1.62″. Various sizes of acetate circles – 3.65″, 1.912″; 1.612″; 1.497″; .987. (Tip) I used the multiple cut (4) feature on the Cricut and set the depth to 6 using the regular housing, speed set at low, pressure high. Use a very tacky mat.
Vellum-cut circle that measures 2.164″ around the words “May your day bubble over with fun”.
Jar of Bubbles (Green CS) – 1 rounded rectangle at 1.393w x 1″h welded to 1 rounded rectangle at 1.897w x 3.788h welded together.
Frame Rings for inside of card (Pink CS)- 1 circle @ 3.65″ with 1 circle @ 3.25 placed inside the 3.65″ ring to create the frame.
Scallops : 2 @4.45″ (1 from Pattern Paper adhered to 1 cut out of white CS) and 1 at 4.85″ (Green CS).
Generate words “Bubbles” and “Let’s go Play!” in Rave (free font) on blue CS. ” May your day bubble over with fun” is a stamp that I scanned into the computer then printed out on vellum. You could also hand write it and get the same affect. (Tip – practice in pencil, then once you have it like you want it go over it with black ink. Let the ink dry and erase the pencil with a white eraser).
- Make the card out of yellow card stock and ink the edges. Cut pattern paper to 2″ x 51/4″ adhere to card stock. Ink bottle and adhere it over the pattern paper. Print the words Bubbles and Let’s go Play! on blue CS and cut “Bubbles” at 1-15/16″ x 1-1/2″ ink edges and adhere to card. Cut “Let’s go Play” at 1-15/16″ x 1-7/8″ ink and adhere to card. I used Paperwishes stitch template to draw stitches around the labels and to make the ridges on the cap. Take a small strip of black card stock (CS) and adhere to the bottle at the base of the lid.
- Bubblewand: Take cut (#1) of the bubblewand and adhere the vellum on the back of the end with the large circle . Adhere a small circle of acetate on the back of the small end of bubblewand (#1). Take cut (#2) of the bubblewand and adhere it to the front of bubblewand #1. Take cut (#3) of the bubblewand and adhere acetate to both large and small circle on the back of bubblewand cut (#3).
- Glue bubblewand #3 to bubblewand #1/#2 all the way around except for a small gap on each end (see photo).
- Make a small funnel out of paper and slipped it in the gaps so you can put glitter into the shaker. (Tip – Be careful here and don’t put too much glitter; less is more). What you are seeing is the funnels in between the layers (#1/#2 and #3) of the bubblewand cuts. Let the glue dry before you add the glitter.
- Once the glitter is in, seal the gaps so the glitter does not leak out. I used a tooth pick to finish gluing the gaps.
- Place the bubblewand on the front of the card and place three of the various sizes of acetate circles on the front of the card using glue dots. (Tip – you can sand the acteate to make it have a scuffed look also.) I then used stickles to cover the glue dots on the acetate circles and scattered rain dots around the card.
- Color the stamp image and use glossy accents on the large bubble and rain dots on the other bubbles. Add Stickles with a little of the blue glitter to the large bubble after it dries. Placed flower rub-ons and doddled the birds and butterfly. I added the jewel to the girl monkey’s navel and added additional eyelashes.
- Ink the scolloped medallions and adhered to the card. Ink the edges of the two ring frames and adhered large acetate circle to the smaller ring frame and then adhered the small ring frame to the larger ring frame. Adhered over the stamped image.
- Take the Sakura Pen – Clear Star and outline the various elements on the front and inside of the card.
If you don’t have Circut E or Design Studio you can use punches, die cuts and even a real bubblewand to achieve the same affects.
Enjoy and remember: The content of my blog is COPYRIGHT © Sherri Benson. Original work is shared for your personal inspiration and enjoyment only and may not be used for publication, submissions, or design contests. Please do not represent my work as your own or use it to make items for sale. Please do not make copies of the lessons I share they need to visit my website to obtain these items directly.